SEVENTH WINDOW ON EAST SIDE OF SANCTUARY
DEDICATED TO BIBLE TRANSLATORS OF MID-TWENTIETH CENTURY
The new Revised Standard Version of the Bible was published in 1952. The Sanctuary of the Hoge Memorial Presbyterian Church was built between 1952 and 1953 which means that the window coincided with the erection of the church. One cannot be much more up-to-date.
Two major revisions of the Biblical text took place between 1611 and 1952. By the middle of the 19th century great defects in the King James Version were gradually discovered. The development of Biblical studies and the discovery of many manuscripts more ancient than those upon which the King James Version was based, made it manifest that a new thorough revision of the text was called for. The English Revised Version of the Bible was published in 1881-1885; and the American Standard Version reflecting variants embodying the preferences of American scholars was published in 1901.
In 1937 a new revision was authorized by a vote of the International Council of Religious Education which consisted of members of various churches. Thirty-two scholars were charged with making the revision subject to review and counsel of an Advisory Board of fifty representatives of the cooperating denominations. All changes had to be approved by a two-thirds vote. As indicated, the New Revised Standard Version was published in 1952.
Our window shows three men of the translating committee. Following an old artistic tradition, the three represent the three ages of men: young, middle-aged and elderly, meaning that the Bible applies to all men.
The most recent translators of the Bible, the New Revised Standard Version published in 1991, include women and that fact is reflected in the text as well. God, however, retains the male gender. New revisions are to follow.