FIFTH WINDOW ON EAST SIDE OF SANCTUARY
DEDICATED TO JOHN WYCLIF (WYCLIFFE)
The writing on the window indicates that Wyclif was the first to translate the Latin Vulgate into English, the language of the common people. According to recent scholarship it is by no means certain that Wyclif actually translated the Bible by himself. It is more likely that others did the work for him. At best, he is credited for translating the New Testament into the vernacular.
Wyclif was probably born in 1328 and died in 1384. Few details of his early life are known. He studied at Oxford and rose to great scholarly distinction being an able theologian and teaching large classes.
He taught that the Scripture were the only law of the church. Wyclif wrote that the church is not centered in the Pope and the cardinals, rather it is composed of the whole company of the elect.
To bring the gospel to the people Wyclif began sending out his priests barefoot, clad in long robes, and with staff in the hand wandering two by two. They were a great success.
In the window on the left of Whyclif you will see a printing press which contributed greatly to printing the Bible and its distribution to the people of the 14th century. On the right an unidentified object. Fountain and if so, a fountain of wisdom?